Driver Experience Days
Ever wondered what its like to drive a miniature locomotive? Challenge yourself to maintain steam pressure, water levels, etc. while running between our timetabled service trains. (Don't worry, your instructor will help keep you in full steam!)
Enjoy a day driving one of the railway's 7¼" narrow gauge steam locomotives and during the afternoon take your family/friends group for a trip around our 1 mile circuit.
On the full Steam Driver Experience course, you will learn how to:
- Prepare a loco, oiling up and raising steam
- Identify all the controls and how/when to use them
- Understand basic signalling procedures
- Drive under close supervision throughout the day
- Progress through our half-mile circuit with station stops, to the full mile circuit
- Learn how to maintain preesure/water while on the move, and try a non-stop run
- Haul your friends/family group on a full 1 mile circuit
Your package includes all necessary equipment, training and supervision to ensure you have a safe and memorable hands-on experience and even includes a commemorative certificate.
An example time table for your day is:
- 10:30-11:00 Tea/coffee with biscuits whilst discussing locomotive operation and a safety briefing
- 11:00-12:00 Locomotive preparation including inspection, oiling-up and raising steam
- 12:00-13:00 Basic locomotive operation with passenger rolling stock
- 13:00-13:30 Lunch (not provided) and general discussion
- 13:30-15:00 More advanced driving around our ½mile circuit
- 15:00-16:00 Drive around the full 1 mile circuit taking up to six family/friends with you
- 16:00-16:30 Locomotive disposal
- 16:30-17:00 Tea/coffee and debrief
Alternatively we offer half day Battery Electric experiences which can still provide its own unique challenges. Drive one of our larger diesals with one of our experienced drivers taking a small group of your family/friends with you.
For the younger enthusiasts, we have junior driver experiences. Dependant on age (minimum preferred age 16) and skill level, we tailor the experience to the visitor. Or calm, relaxed instructors will guide the visitor through the controls, and allow them to take charge of the train around our full mile circuit, while parents/gaurdians accompany them on the train. For older children, we have offered half day junior steam experiences, similar to the full experience but tailored to the visitor. Again parents/guardians will be invited to accompany them throughout.
**Due to the high demand in scheduling experiences following our closure for Covid-19 we are extremely limited availability in 2021, we recommend any new purchased are planned for 2022**
Steam Locomotive Driving Experience Days cost just £100
Half-day battery electric experiences at just £75
Junior driving experiences from just £40
Methods of payment:
BACS transfer to:
Cheques payable to: 'Bentley Miniature Railway Ltd'
Please post cheques to: PO BOX 263, Uckfield, TN22 9BY.
For further information please contact:
Please complete the below form to place your booking now!